UCO has temporarily shifted most in-person classes to synchronous virtual delivery through Jan. 31. Campus facilities and services will remain open and offer in-person and virtual options. COVID-19 protocols remain in place. Masks are required on campus when around others. Students, faculty and staff who are directly exposed to or test positive for COVID-19 should fill out UCO's COVID-19 Self-Reporting form. To learn more about current operations, view the university's coronavirus webpage.
Connie Squires, Ph.D.
Constance Squires, Ph.D., is the author of two novels, "Along the Watchtower" (2011, Riverhead/Penguin), which received the Oklahoma Book Award in 2012 and "Live from Medicine Park" (2017, University of Oklahoma Press) which was named one of Seven Candidates for the Great American Rock and Roll Novel by Electric Literature in 2018 (https://electricliterature.com/7-candidates-for-the-great-american-rock-and-roll-novel/) as well as being an Oklahoma Best Seller and finalist for the Oklahoma Book Award. In 2019, she published a short story collection, "Hit Your Brights" (2019, University of Oklahoma Press).
Her short fiction has appeared in Guernica, Shenandoah, The Atlantic, The Rolling Stone 500, The Almagre Review, Opossum, and numerous other magazines. Nonfiction has been featured in Salon, The Village Voice, The New York Times, Rain Taxi, World Literature Today and on the NPR program "Snap Judgment." She wrote the screenplay for Grave Misgivings, a short film by indigenous filmmaker and Sundance nominee, Jeffrey Palmer.
She regularly reads and speaks nationally, most recently as the keynote speaker at the 2018 Radical Writes Conference in Cape Girardeau, Missouri; Malvern Books in Austin, Texas; and, as a Featured Author at the 2018 Oklahoma Book Festival.
At UCO, she teaches a variety of courses in creative writing, with special emphasis on fiction (novel and short story). She received the award for Outstanding Creative Achievement in 2011 and 2017, and currently serves on the Faculty Senate. She has been at UCO since 2006 and holds a Ph.D. in English/Creative Writing from Oklahoma State University (2005).
- Creative Studies 5013, Foundations of Creative Writing
- Creative Studies 5113, M.F.A., Editing and Marketing
- Creative Studies 5123, M.F.A., Short Story I
- Creative Studies 5133, M.F.A., Short Story II
- Creative Studies 5143, M.F.A., Short Story III
- Creative Studies 4123/5123, Writing the Novel
- Creative Studies 4910/5910, Beginning the Novel
- Creative Studies 4910/5910, Writing the Short Story
- Creative Studies 4893, Creative Studies Capstone
- Creative Studies 3573, Fundamentals of Creative Writing
- Creative Studies 3583, Fundamentals of Creative Writing II
- English 4910/5910, Special Topics: Rock and Roll Literature
- English 2513, Intro to Creative Writing (OSU)
- English 1923, Masterpieces of Literature (OSU)
- English 1113, Composition I
- English 1213, Composition II
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 8:15-9 a.m. and 11-11:50 a.m.
- Monday 5-5:45 p.m.
- By appointment
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.