The UCO campus is closed Friday, July 3, in observance of the Fourth of July. Operations will resume Monday, July 6.
Campus buildings reopened to the public effective July 1. Services are available virtually or by appointment only. Visitors should reach out to individual departments regarding appointments. Masks and social distancing are required while on campus. To learn more about current operations, view the university's summer reopening plan.
Brett Sharp, Ph.D.
Brett S. Sharp is a professor of public administration at the University of Central Oklahoma. Previously, he served as employment manager for the City of Oklahoma City and agency services coordinator for the State of Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Political Science Association recently named him its Scholar of the Year. He is the author and editor of several books including Oklahoma Government & Politics, now in its 6th Edition and his latest, Managing in the Public Sector (2nd Ed.). His research also appears in several major journals including American Review of Public Administration and Review of Public Personnel Administration. For the past few years, he has been serving as a visiting research professor at Swansea University in Wales, UK focused on application of social media in political movements and crisis management communication. His latest research is in policy to address technological displacement by artificial intelligence and robotics. He also has been researching major administrative reform efforts using data visualization techniques. Previous research has been in areas such as the role of faith-based organizations in social welfare policy for SUNY’s Rockefeller Institute for State Government.
He has received numerous awards for teaching and scholarship including Oklahoma Political Science Scholar of the Year (2x) and Oklahoma Political Science Teacher of the Year by the Oklahoma Political Science Association; Faculty Member of the Year Award from the UCO College of Liberal Arts, Faculty Merit-Credit from UCO (4x), and the Vanderford Engagement Award for Leadership & Civic Engagement. He is also a graduate of the Leadership Educators Institute, Outstanding Professors Academy, and the FBI Citizens Academy.
Sharp is the founding director of Leadership Studies at UCO, having helped to inaugurate and implement the highly successful Leadership minor.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Oklahoma (Public Administration, Public Policy, and American Government)
Master of Public Administration, University of Oklahoma
Bachelor of Science in Political Science/Public Affairs with a minor in Religious Studies (Oklahoma State University)
Professor, University of Central Oklahoma, 2000-Present
Visiting Professor/Research Supervisor, Swansea University, Wales, UK, 2012-Present
Employment Manager, City of Oklahoma City, 1995-2000
Oklahoma Office of Personnel Management, Agency Services Coordinator, 1987-1995
Walmart Stores, Inc., Assistant Manager, 1986-1987
Discoveryland Outdoor Dramas, Theatre Administrator, Summers 1978-1985
Honors and Awards
● Oklahoma Political Science Scholar of the Year, Oklahoma Political Science Association, November 7, 2014
● Faculty Merit-Credit Award for Excellence in Teaching, UCO, August 2013
● Leader in Residence Award, UCO Academic Affairs & Leadership Central, August 2009
● Faculty & Staff Campus Leader of the Week Award, UCO Leadership Central, April 14-18, 2008
● Leadership Certificate of Excellence, Students of Leadership: Act the Part, December 6, 2006
● Oklahoma Political Science Scholar of the Year, Oklahoma Political Science Association, November 4, 2005
● Vanderford Engagement Award for Leadership, UCO, August 2005
● Faculty Merit-Credit Award for Excellence in Scholarship, UCO, August 2005
● Faculty Member of the Year, UCO College of Liberal Arts, April 13, 2005
● Faculty Merit-Credit Award for Excellence in Teaching, UCO, August 2004
● Oklahoma Political Science Teacher of the Year, Oklahoma Political Science Association, November 6, 2003
● Faculty Merit-Credit Award for Excellence in Service, UCO, August 2003
● Outstanding Junior Faculty Member 2002-2003, UCO College of Liberal Arts, April 16, 2003
● Certificate of Recognition for Service & Dedication in the Classroom, University of Phoenix, April 28, 2001
● Received City’s Best Award from the City of Oklahoma City, October 12, 1998
● Outstanding Service to the State of Oklahoma, Office of the Governor, August 18, 1990
● Oklahoma Office of Personnel Management Employee of the Month, April 1988
● Society of Collegiate Journalists 10th Annual Press Day Award for Feature Writing, 1981
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.