Stacy Southerland, Ph.D.
Dr. Southerland's endeavors at the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) have advanced the university's mission through her service to various division including the Department of Modern Languages as a Full Professor in Spanish and past Faculty Liaison with the Institute for Learning Environment Design (iLED).Her work with iLED included researching and contributing to the development of analytics tools to assist clients internal and external to UCO with strategic planning and innovation endeavors as well as research and writing projects to share the Institute's work.
An active research and presentation agenda focused on learning innovation, online learning, and learner success allows her to share her online initiatives and learn from those of colleagues in the industry. Her accomplishments in these areas and her online teaching, learning environment design, and learner support strategies have received international, statewide, and local recognition. She further promotes excellence in higher education and the distance learning industry through service on editorial review boards and program committees for various international elearning organizations.
Education and Certifications
- PhD, Spanish Literature with a minor in Comparative Literature
- MA, Spanish Literature
Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas
- BA, Music and Spanish
- Institute for Emerging Leadership In Online Learning, Online Learning Consortium
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt, Lean Six Sigma Institute, LLC
- Certified Learning Environment Architect, Institute for Learning Environment Design, University of Central Oklahoma,
- Web Accessibility for Online Educators, MOOC, Portland Community College
- Online Learning Consortium (Sloan-C) Online Teaching Workshop, 8 Course Series
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning, Program acceptance and completion
- 2018 United States Distance Learning Association Teaching Award
- 2018 Online Learning Consortium Excellence Effective Practice Award, Co-recipient with Dr. Bucky Dodd
- 2017 Online Learning Consortium Excellence and Innovation in Online Faculty Development Award, Co-recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments Team
- 2017 United States Distance Learning Association 21st Century Award, Co-recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments Team
- 2017 United States Distance Learning Association Innovation Award for Higher Education, Co-Recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments Team
- 2015 International Brightspace Excellence Award, Co-Recipient with Bucky Dodd and Tracy Fairless
- 2014 Spotlight Recognition, Desire2Excel Spotlight on community members
- 2019 Oklahoma Online Excellence Award in Innovation, Co-recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma’s Institute for Learning Environment Design Team
- 2018 Oklahoma Online Excellence Award in Teaching
- EXCEL Grand Prize Award, University of Central Oklahoma Desire2Learn Excellence award across all categories--Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Accessibility.
- EXCEL Innovation Award, University of Central Oklahoma Desire2Learn Excellence award in the Innovation category.
- Vanderford Initiative Award: Awarded by the UCO President for Exceptional Initiative in Support of Character, Civility, Community and Leadership
- Academic Leadership Fellow
- Vanderford Teaching Award, Liberal Arts
- College of Liberal Arts Outstanding Teaching Award
- Creative & Innovative Learning Activities: UCO Faculty Enhancement Center & UCO AAUP
- Faculty Merit-Credit Award for Service
- eLearning Course Design and Facilitation
- Innovation in Learning: Course Design and Facilitation and Academic Support for Learners
- Strategic Analysis and Planning for Program and Process Innovation
- Language Learning and Instruction
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.