The UCO campus is closed Friday, July 3, in observance of the Fourth of July. Operations will resume Monday, July 6.
Campus buildings reopened to the public effective July 1. Services are available virtually or by appointment only. Visitors should reach out to individual departments regarding appointments. Masks and social distancing are required while on campus. To learn more about current operations, view the university's summer reopening plan.
Stacy Southerland, Ph.D.
Stacy Southerland’s endeavors at the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) advance the university's mission through service in a dual capacity as a Full Professor in the Department of Modern Languages and Faculty Liaison with the Institute for Learning Environment Design (iLED) at UCO's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments. She leverages extensive experience in higher education to design, facilitate, and coordinate the university's online Spanish courses, which have grown under her leadership to represent a significant percentage of UCO's Spanish program offerings. Her work with iLED includes researching and contributing to the development of tools to assist iLED clients with strategic planning and innovation endeavors as well as research and writing projects to share the Institute's work.
An active research and presentation agenda focused on learning innovation and learner success allows her to share my initiatives and learn from those of colleagues in the industry. Her accomplishments in these areas and her online teaching, learning environment design, and learner support strategies have received international, statewide, and local recognition. She further promotes excellence in higher education and the distance learning industry through service on editorial review boards and program committees for various international elearning organizations.
Education and Certifications
PhD, Spanish Literature with a minor in Comparative Literature
MA, Spanish Literature
Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas
BA, Music and Spanish
Honors and Awards
- 2018 United States Distance Learning Association Teaching Award
- 2018 Online Learning Consortium Excellence Effective Practice Award, Co-recipient with Dr. Bucky Dodd
- 2017 Online Learning Consortium Excellence and Innovation in Online Faculty Development Award, Co-recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments Team
- 2017 United States Distance Learning Association 21st Century Award, Co-recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments Team
- 2017 United States Distance Learning Association Innovation Award for Higher Education, Co-Recipient with the University of Central Oklahoma's Center for eLearning and Connected Environments Team
- 2015 International Brightspace Excellence Award, Co-Recipient with Bucky Dodd and Tracy Fairless
- 2014 Spotlight Recognition, Desire2Excel Spotlight on community members
- 2018 Oklahoma Online Excellence Award in Teaching
- 2014 EXCEL Grand Prize Award, University of Central Oklahoma Desire2Learn Excellence award across all categories--Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Accessibility.
- 2014 EXCEL Innovation Award, University of Central Oklahoma Desire2Learn Excellence award in the Innovation category.
- 2013 Vanderford Initiative Award: Awarded by the UCO President for Exceptional Initiative in Support of Character, Civility, Community and Leadership
- 2012-13 Academic Leadership Fellow
- 2005 Vanderford Teaching Award, Liberal Arts
- 2005 College of Liberal Arts Outstanding Teaching Award
- 2000 Creative & Innovative Learning Activities: UCO Faculty Enhancement Center & UCO AAUP
- 2000 Faculty Merit-Credit Award for Service
- eLearning Course Design and Facilitation
- Innovation in Learning: Course Design and Facilitation and Academic Support for Learners
- Strategic Analysis and Planning for Program and Process Innovation
- Language Learning and Instruction
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.