Consistent with revised CDC guidance, vaccinated individuals are recommended to wear a mask when in public indoor spaces where COVID-19 virus transmission is considered substantial or high. Oklahoma County is currently listed as an area of high transmission by the CDC. The CDC further recommends that unvaccinated individuals continue to wear a mask when around others indoors, regardless of their area’s rate of transmission.
Stephen Black, Ph.D.
Steve Black, Ph.D., currently serves as the chair of the Finance Department. Through his role as professor and chair, he provides individuals with the opportunity to control their financial lives and the power to affect the lives of others. Black also serves on the UCO Foundation Investment Committee.
Black grew up in Texas and after graduating from Texas A & M Univ. with a Petroleum Engineering degree, moved to Edmond to work for Champlin Petroleum Co. He received his Ph.D. in Finance from Oklahoma State University and has been a faculty member at UCO since 1990.
- FIN 3563 Fundamental of Business Finance
- FIN 4273 International Finance
- FIN 4213 Investments
- FIN 4253 Intermediate Business Finance
Education and Certifications
- Ph.D., Oklahoma State University, Finance, 1995.
- MBA, Oklahoma City University, 1985.
- B.S., Texas A & M University, Petroleum Engineering, 1982.
- Chair of the Finance Dept., University of Central Oklahoma.
- Faculty member, University of Central Oklahoma.
- Petroleum Engineer, Champlin Petroleum Co.
Professional and Community Involvement
- National Tornado Summit, Executive Committee Member.
- UCO Foundation Investment Committee, member.
- UCO Strategic Enrollment Planning Committee, member
- UCO CoB Dean's Executive Committee, member.
- BSA Troop 78, Program Coordinator.
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
- MacDonald, S. T., Ellis, R. B., Black, S. M. The Alaskan "More Production Act" Who Won? Oil Gas and Energy Quarterly, under review.
- Black, S. (in press). An Examination of the Predictive Power of Forward Rates. Midwestern Business and Economic Review.
- Jung, M., Black, S. M. (2016). Time Differential Effects of Credit Yield Spread and Interest Rate Differential on the Currency Carry Trade Return: The Case of Japanese Yen. 10(1/April 2016), pp. 12-21. www.iabpad.com.
- Black, S. (Presenter & Author), Financial Education Association 2014, "Red, White and Blue, A Zero-Sum Game," Academy of Business Education, Savannah, GA. (September 2014).
The main objective of my teaching is to transform abstract, difficult concepts into easy, understandable examples, so students can easily understand course materials and are confident of what they learn. I believe people learn what they regard as relevant to their lives. To motivate students’ interest in the subject, I focus more on how knowledge can be applied to the real world.
To instruct students in an effective and efficient way in the classroom, I emphasize interactive learning and focus on the main topics of the course. I provide practice problems to develop students’ critical thinking and quantitative skills. My primary goal is to prepare students for a successful career in finance.
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.