UCO has temporarily shifted most in-person classes to synchronous virtual delivery through Jan. 31. Campus facilities and services will remain open and offer in-person and virtual options. COVID-19 protocols remain in place. Masks are required on campus when around others. Students, faculty and staff who are directly exposed to or test positive for COVID-19 should fill out UCO's COVID-19 Self-Reporting form. To learn more about current operations, view the university's coronavirus webpage.
Lecturer, Biology Department
Office: HOH 301K
Ms. Derakhshan is a lecturer of biology. She earned her undergraduate level of associate of PA from Baden-Wuerttemberg Chamber of Physicians in Germany. She earned her B.S. in biology from the University of Central Oklahoma. She earned her M.S. in General Education in Biology from the University of Central Oklahoma. She has taught in the biology department since fall 2012 and enjoys it so much. She is a trained STLR faculty. She is interested in plant’s research, physiology & pathology, including behavioral biology/neurology.
Human physiology laboratory
Education and Certifications
M.S. General Education in Biology 2011- With Honors- University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, Oklahoma
B.S. of science, Biology 2007- Magna Cum Laude- University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, Oklahoma
Undergraduate, Associate of Physician Assistant 1995, Baden-Wurttemberg Chamber of Physician, Heidelberg, Germany
Honors and Awards
- Oklahoma Research Day 2011, Certification/award of Participation
- The National Scholars Honor Society, Magna Cum Laude, 2007
- Tri Beta, Biology Honor Society, life long member
- The Notional Dean’s List, founded in 1976, awarded & be in the list 2005 - 2006
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society award, and certification of its chapter Alpha Theta Alpha 2002
- Certificate/award of volunteer at Mustang public schools 2008
- Lecturer of Biology at the University of Central Oklahoma
2012 – 2015, Adjunct
2015 – present, Lecturer
- Substitute teacher at Mustang & Yukon public schools
2008 – 2011
- PA and surgical assistant & Allergy tests & blood and pathogenic works at the medical office, Heidelberg, Germany
1992 - 1996
Professional and Community Involvement
- Reviewer/evaluator of proposals/abstracts of the University of Central Oklahoma Collegium on College Teaching Practices for the Center for Excellence in Transformative Teaching and Learning, 2016/2017 - present
- Evaluate/grade the Capstone papers, 2015 – present
- Oklahoma regional science fair judge, 2017 - present
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
Caddell, G. M., K Cristoffel, C. Esqueda, A. Price, and S. Derakhshan. 2016. Vascular flora of Hafer Park, an urban park in Edmond, Oklahoma. Paper presented at the Oklahoma Academy of Science Technical Meeting, Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences, November 4, 2016.
Derakhshan. S., is acknowledged in the book of Vascular Flora of Hafer Park authored and published by Dr. Caddell, et.all.
Ovrebo, C. L., Lord, W. D., and Derakhshan, S. 2011. Using Commercial Mushrooms as Baits to Attract Insects and Other Invertebrates. Poster presented at the Cameron University, Lawton, Oklahoma.
The students' involvement in a teaching/learning setting would empower the process of recording the information. Thus, to achieve a productive learning, students are encouraged to be engaged in the active learning in my course. Therefore, my class involves strategies such as group discussions & case studies, problem-based learning, team-based & hands-on activities, and scholarly research studies. My goal is to embrace different learning styles to meet students' learning preferences so that they learn effectively.
I like the different cultures/foods/languages. I like to travel and see archeological places/records, arts, and the nature. I like to garden, paint & draw, cook, and exercise. I enjoy spending time with family & friends.
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.