Consistent with revised CDC guidance, vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals are recommended to wear a mask when in public indoor spaces where COVID-19 virus transmission is considered substantial or high.
COVID-19 Resources: COVID-19 Testing | Report Positive Test, Symptoms, or Direct Exposure | Vaccine Information | COVID-19 Website
Jennifer Barger-Johnson, J.D.
Jennifer Barger Johnson, J.D., is a native of Oklahoma growing up in Sallisaw (Sequoyah County). She joined UCO in August of 2005 and is currently a Professor of Business Law. Dr. Barger also serves as UCO’s Copyright Compliance Officer since 2009 and was UCO Faculty Senate President from 2015 to 2016, and again in 2019-2020. She has also served as a Municipal Judge since 2000 and she is licensed to practice law in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas. She previously served as the Vice Chairperson of the Cherokee Nation Gaming Commission from 2009 to 2014.
Her practical experience and interests are broad reaching including the areas of Tribal Gaming, Contracts, Business Associations, Commercial Litigation, Banking Law, Employment Discrimination Law, Constitutional Law/Civil Rights Violations, Human Resources Law, Negligence, Governmental Tort Claims, Insurance Subrogation/Defense, Native American Law, Public School Defense, Medical Negligence, Energy Law, Public Utilities Law and Business Ethics.
She has taught classes in business law, business associations, commercial transactions, e-commerce law, employment discrimination law, sports and agency law and international law. She will also assist with both the UCO Paris: Culture and Commerce Study Tour with Business Students and the UCO Uganda Study Tour with Leadership Students. An active researcher, she has published over 15 peer-reviewed journal articles, and she currently serves as the Articles Editor and a Reviewer for the Southern Law Journal and the Southern Journal of Business and Ethics. She is an officer of the Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business and has received numerous awards in Teaching, Research and Service initiatives.
Dr. Barger served as a Mentor Rider for the Remember the Removal Bike Ride sponsored by the Cherokee Nation in 2018. This ride retraced the northern route of the Trail of Tears and spanned nearly 1,000 miles over 19 days. She remains very active in tribal affairs. She is a mother of two children, Samuel born in 2008 and Olivia born in 2009.
Education and Certifications
- J.D., Law with Business Emphasis, University of Arkansas
- B.B.A., Management, Cameron University
- A.A., Business Management, Carl Albert State College
- Oklahoma Bar License
- Arkansas Bar License
- Texas Bar License
- Cherokee Nation Bar License
Honors and Awards
- Vanderford Teaching Excellence Award, University of Central Oklahoma (2015).
- Outstanding Service Award, UCO College of Business. (2018).
- Exemplary Service Award, UCO College of Business. (2013).
- Exemplary Service Award, UCO College of Business. (2012).
- Exemplary Service Award, UCO College of Business. (2010).
- Excellence in Scholarly Activity and Research Award, UCO College of Business. (2008).
- Teaching Excellence Award, UCO Department of Finance (CB). (2011).
- Teaching Excellence Award, UCO Department of Finance (CB). (2009).
- Teaching Excellence Award, UCO Department of General Business (CB). (2007).
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg American Inn of Court, Barrister, Ruth Bader Ginsburg American Inn of Court. (2010).
- Forty Under 40, Oklahoma City Business Journal. (2006).
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
Peer-Reviewed Publications/Intellectual Contributions:
- Ludlum, M., Barger Johnson, J., Ford, D. (2018). Oklahoma's State Question 788 on Medical Marijuana: High on Expectations, Hazy on Details. Southern Journal of Business and Ethics.
- Ludlum, M., Barger Johnson, J. (2018). Forget Video Poker: Sell Marijuana on Tribal Lands. Southern Law Journal, 28(1), 85-116. www.southernlawjournal.com
- Ludlum, M., Barger Johnson, J. (2015). Ethics and the Pre-Law Advisor: Law School Marketing Practices. Southern Journal of Business and Ethics, 7, 89-105. www.salsb.org
- Goza, R., Tyner, L., Barger Johnson, J. (2014). Whistle Blower Laws: State Or Federal Protection, Which Is Better? Journal of Workplace Rights, 17(3). www.baywood.com
- Hayes, S. T., Smith, J. P., Tyner, L., Barger Johnson, J. (2012). $21 Billion and Counting: The Burdens of FMLA to Employers. Compensation & Benefits Review, 44(1), 18-23. cbr.sagepub.com
- Cabeza, M. F., Barger Johnson, J., Tyner, L. (2011). The Glass Ceiling and Maternity Leave, as Important Contributors to the Gender Wage Gap. Southern Journal of Business & Ethics. www.salsb.org
- Stamper, D. C., Barger Johnson, J., Tyner, L. (2011). The Progression of Equality: A Look at the Succession of Protections for Sexual Orientation. Franklin Business and Law Journal, 2011(3).
- Barger Johnson, J., Skelly, J. J. (2010). Glass Ceilings and Great Expectations: Gender Stereotype Impact on Female Professionals. Southern Law Journal, XX(2010). www.southernlawjournal.com/
- Barger Johnson, J., Johnson, E. J. (2010). Executives Get Their Due: Does Sarbanes-Oxley Allow the Escrow of Certain Extraordinary Payments Due to Executives? Franklin Business and Law Journal, 2010(1), 138-146. www.franklinpublishing.net
- Barger Johnson, J., Lingenfelter, G. J. (2009). Refco: Outwitting the Auditor. Journal of Critical Incidents/Society for Case Research, II/2009, 109-116.
- Barger Johnson, J. (2009). Does the Age Discrimination in Employment Act Apply to the American Indian Tribes? Southern Journal of Business and Ethics, 1(1/2009), 57-70. www.salsb.org
- Tyner, L., Clinton, M. S., Barger Johnson, J., Camey, J. P. (2008). Labor Law Posting Compliance: The Impact of Organizational Characteristics. Southern Law Journal, 18 (Fall / 2008), 251-262. www.salsb.org
- Barger Johnson, J. (2008). Can Universities Face Liability For Failure To Monitor The Virtual Environment? Franklin Business and Law Review, Quarterly Journal, 2008(3/2008), 30-42. www.franklinpublishing.net
- Lingenfelter, G. J., Barger Johnson, J. (2007). Outside the Profession: Should a CPA Be Disciplined for Actions Not Directly Related to Public Accounting? Southern Law Journal, 2007(XVII/Fall 2007), 17-26. www.southernlawjournal.com
- Barger Johnson, J., Helvey, A. L. (2006). Data Security Breach and Third Party Identity Theft: Businesses Face a New Era of Legal Liability in the Aftermath of Evolving Consumer Fraud. Journal of Legal Studies in Business, 12(2006 Articles), 63-81.
- Barger Johnson, J., Martinez, J. E., Patin, R. E. (2008). Impact of a Subchapter S Designation as a Competitive Measure: Small Community Banks versus Credit Unions in Texas. Midwestern Business and Economic Review, 42(Fall 2008), 5-10.
Other Intellectual Contributions:
Barger Johnson, J. (2012). Online Ancillaries for Dynamic Business Law, 2ed (2ed ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
Tullis, K. J., Barger Johnson, J., Buchanan, R., Camey, J. P., Clinton, M. S., Hillon, M., Jeck, P., Tyner, L., Abdelkadeer, M. (2007). In Pat Hyland (Ed.), Propane 101. Cleveland, Ohio: Questex Media, LP Gas Magazine.
Barger Johnson, J. (2008). Law of International Business Online.
Barger Johnson, J., Tyner, L. (2008). Human Capital Management: Online Hybrid.
Barger Johnson, J. (2008). Law of Commercial Transactions.
Barger Johnson, J. (2007). Legal Environment of Business.
Professional and Community Involvement
- International Masters of Gaming Law (2012-Present)
- National Association of Indian Gaming Commissioners (2009-Present)
- National Indian Gaming Association (2009-Present)
- National Tribal Gaming Commissioners/Regulators (2009-Present)
- Officer, Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2006-Present)
- Oklahoma Municipal Judges Association (2000-Present)
- United States Academy of Small Business Entrepreneurs (2007-2010)
- Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2006-2008)
- American Association of University Professors (2006-2010)
- Oklahoma Academy (2008-2010)
- Leadership Edmond, Class XXIII (2007-2008)
- Oklahoma City Citizen's Police Academy (2006-2007)
- Advanced Leadership UCO (2006-2007)
- Leadership Lawton-Fort Sill, Class XIII (2002-2003)
- Monday: By Appointment
- Tuesday: 8:50 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. and 12:20 p.m. to 1:20 p.m.
- Wednesday: By Appointment
- Thursday: 8:50 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. and 12:20 p.m. to 1:20 p.m.
- Friday: By Appointment
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.