Director of Marketing and Promotions
Steven Akins is the Marketing and Communications Director for the College of Fine Arts and Design (CFAD). He leads a talented and award-winning staff who help promote more than 200 performances and exhibits put on by faculty, staff and students of the college each year. He joined the team in 2013 from Northeastern State University in Tahlequah where he was the Marketing and Communications Project Manager.
Education and Certifications
- Master of Arts from Northeastern State University in Communication Arts with an emphasis on Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Arts from the University of Central Oklahoma in Journalism: Photographic Arts
- Associate of Arts from Eastern Oklahoma State College in Psychology/Sociology with a minor in Journalism
He has more than 30 years of experience working in both higher education and communications marketing. His experience includes work in photography, graphic design, video editing/video design, news/sports writing & editing, social media marketing as well as managing an offset print shop. He has taught adjunct classes in Mass Communications, Photography, Public Relations, Graphic Design and Advertising. He also has professional experience as a sports editor, news/sports writer and photographer for a daily newspaper.
Honors and Awards
His work and the work of his students has garnered numerous writing and photography/video awards from various press and collegiate organizations including Oklahoma Press Association, American College Press Association, Oklahoma Collegiate Public Relations Association, Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association, Oklahoma Interscholastic Press Association and the Rocky Mountain Collegiate Media Association. Additionally, his photography also placed in the Explorica International Travel Photography Competition.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Oklahoma Collegiate Public Relations Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- UCO Communicators Council
- UCO Web Content Management Team
- New Covenent Communications Team (Edmond)
- Lions Club International
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.