UCO COVID-19 protocols remain in place for the spring 2021 semester. Masks are required on campus when around others. Students, faculty and staff directly exposed to or test positive for COVID-19 should fill out UCO's COVID-19 Self-Reporting form. To learn more about current operations, view the university's coronavirus webpage. View a list of UCO's virtual services.
Neil Metz, Ph.D.
Associate Professor/Interim Chr
Dr. Metz is an associate professor of Economics with research interests in urban, behavioral and sports economics. His research has focused on valuing local amenities (open space, schools) and disamenities (earthquakes) using home prices. He has also used detailed golf data from the PGA TOUR to examine behavioral issues in tournaments (performance under pressure, peer effects). One study was awarded the Shotlink Intelligence Prize from the PGA TOUR, featured in Golfweek and on the Golf Channel, and he was invited to present this work at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
Education and Certifications
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Colorado
- M.A., Economics, University of Colorado
- B.E., Civil Engineering, Vanderbilt University
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
- “Peer Effects in a Competitive Environment: Evidence from the PGA TOUR” (with Daniel Hickman), Economic Inquiry, forthcoming.
- “Neighborhood Income Inequality and Property Crime” (with Mariya Burdina), Urban Studies, forthcoming.
- “The Cost of Induced Seismicity: A Hedonic Analysis” (with Travis Roach and Jordan A. Williams), Economics Letters 160, 86-90, 2017.
- “Goal Attainability and Performance: Evidence from Boston Marathon Qualifying Standards” (with Mariya Burdina and Scott Hiller), Journal of Economic Psychology 58, 77-88, 2017.
- “Value for Open Space: Access and Protection Level”, Growth and Change 48(1), 127-152, 2017.
- “Competitive Balance: Championship Futures Betting Markets” (with Wayne McEwen), International Journal of Sport Finance 11(1), 63-78, 2016.
- “The Impact of Pressure on Performance: Evidence from the PGA TOUR” (with Daniel Hickman), Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 116, 319-330, 2015.
- “Effect of Distance to Public Schooling on Home Prices”, The Review of Regional Studies45(2), 151-171, 2015.
- Fall 2018 Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday: 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - noon
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.