Introduction to Forensic Science
Forensic Science Analysis and Lab
Forensic Serology and Lab
Advanced Fingerprint Analysis
Instructor of Forensic Science/Education: Forensic Science Institute/Educational Sciences Foundations, and Research
University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma (August 2015 – present)
- Instructor: Introduction to Forensic Science, Forensic Science Analysis and Lab, Advanced Fingerprint Analysis, Forensic Serology and Lab, Practicum in Forensic Science, Educational Assessment, Educational Psychology
- Develop curriculum focused on outcome-based higher education as part of the University of Central Oklahoma’s Metropolitan University initiative.
- Integrate transformative learning strategies into Forensic Science and ESFR curriculum and instruction.
- Assess student learning initiatives and monitor student progress.
- Work with students to develop and complete STLR activities and service learning projects.
- Develop course content and curriculum for Forensic Science Analysis, Forensic Serology, and Advanced Fingerprint Analysis.
- Serve on the FSI Curriculum Council.
- Member of the Council on Forensic Science Education, a national organization focused on developing and maintaining high academic standards for forensic science programs.
- Faculty Advisor for the Student Academy of Forensic Sciences.
- Faculty Advisor for Delta Delta Epsilon Forensic Science Honor Society.
- Coordinate Forensic Science Living-Learning Community events and activities in an effort to provide a supportive academic environment, increase student retention, and emphasize student growth and development.
- Implement STLR initiatives in the Forensic Science Living Learning Community.
- Serve on the PTE sequence committee for the ESFR department.
- STLR Ambassador for the ESFR department.
- Work with the Quality Assurance Commons for Higher and Postsecondary Education to co-design and pilot the Essential Employability Qualities (EEQ) Certification through STLR initiatives in Forensic Science Institute programs and the Forensic Science Living-Learning Community.
- Coordinate law enforcement short courses and conferences (CLEET).
- Organize continuing education seminars on forensic science curriculum and techniques for secondary education teachers.
Academic Program Coordinator, Forensic Science Institute
University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma (January 2014 – August 2015)
- Coordinated program activities to ensure relevant guidelines, specifications, policies and/or procedures were enforced and followed for academic related services.
- Provided information to and facilitated communication between administrators, faculty, staff, and students concerning Forensic Science Institute programs.
- Enhanced Forensic Science Institute visibility and student enrollment by outreach coordination and information sessions/tours.
- Served as Academic Advisor to undergraduate forensic science students.
- Partnered with Student Success Advisors to provide incoming students and transfer students with information on the forensic science program.
- Served on the FSI Curriculum Council.
- Provided individual career identification and planning for students.
- Coordinated law enforcement short courses and conferences (CLEET).
- Maintained relevant databases to ensure accurate and accessible records.
- Assisted faculty in developing coursework, activities, and/or laboratories to reinforce forensic concepts and techniques.
- Adjunct Instructor: Introduction to Forensic Science
Chemistry Teacher, Conroe High School
Conroe, Texas (August 2007 – June 2011)
- Developed innovative curriculum to instruct individual students, small groups, and classes of 24+ students in co-teach chemistry.
- Chemistry lead teacher.
- Focused on student individualism, developed educational programs to accommodate different learning styles using strategies such as manipulative based instruction, tiering, flexible grouping, and anchor activities.
- Presented at district staff development for CISD Science – Differentiating the Environment: Meeting the Needs of Students.
- Presented at campus staff development – Collaborative Teaching Model.
- Teaching techniques filmed during actual class period for training purposes by CISD Curriculum and Instruction Department
- TAKS-In-a-Box: developed TAKS review manipulatives and activities for science department.
- Helped organize and launch Operation Science, an after school TAKS program.
- Assistant cheer coach.
- Leo Club sponsor.
Education and Certifications
University of Oklahoma – Norman, Oklahoma (2015 - present)
Doctoral Candidate in Educational Psychology and Instructional Technology
Dissertation: The Woman-Scientist Identity Interference: Traversing the Pipeline through New Pedagogy and Institutional Reformation
University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma (2011 - 2014)
Master of Science in Forensic Science – Molecular Biology with Honors
Thesis Title: The Forensic Value of Processed Human Hair Extensions
University of Oklahoma – Norman, Oklahoma (2002 - 2006)
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry with Honors
Physical Sciences (8-12)
ESL Supplemental (EC-4 and 8-12)
Honors and Awards
Delta Delta Epsilon Forensic Science Honor Society International Board – Secretary (2018 – 2019); Chair (2019 – 2021)
UCO Housing and Dining Honored Partnership Award: Forensic Science Living Learning Community – University of Central Oklahoma (2018)
Masonic Endowment Award for Transformative Learning: Forensic Science Living Learning Community – University of Central Oklahoma (2016)
The Edmond Sun: Notable Someone to Know - Caitlin Porterfield (2016)
Institution Faculty Member of the Month for Outstanding Contributions to Resident Life – National Residence Hall Honorary (2015)
Oklahoma Outstanding Mentor – Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence (2013)
SAFS UCO Student Organization of the Year – Campus Leadership Award (2013)
Forensic Science Institute Endowed Scholarship (2012)
Delta Delta Epsilon Forensic Science Honor Society (2012 – 2014)
Outstanding Senior in Biochemistry Achievement Award (2005)
National Society of Collegiate Scholars (2003 – 2006)
University of Oklahoma Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society (2003 – 2006)
Golden Key International Honor Society (2003 – 2006)
Norman Chamber of Commerce John H. Patten Memorial Scholarship Award (2002)
University Scholar Award (2002)
Engineering Distinguished Freshman Scholarship (2002)
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma
Current Research Interests:
- The woman-scientist identity interference
- Gender-responsive pedagogy in STEM
- Motivation and interest development of women in STEM
- Traversing the pipeline: restructuring STEM in higher education and creating greater access for women
- Women in forensic science
- Critical pedagogy
- Transformative experiences: living-learning communities and service learning projects as tools for transformative education
- Conceptual change in science education
- Bridging the gap between higher education and employers
University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma
Dwight Adams, Ph.D.; James Creecy, Ph.D.
September 2011 – December 2014
- Three brands of processed human hair extensions were evaluated microscopically and genetically for their probative value in forensic casework. Microscopic analysis of hair morphology determined that the internal and surface characteristics of the human hair extensions were consistent with human head hair and failed to identify any distinguishing features (pitting, striations, indentations, internal variations) that differentiated the extensions from natural human hair. Chemical analysis identified carbon, oxygen, sulfur, aluminum, and calcium as the main elemental components of the extensions which is consistent with human hair. There were no elements detected that were unique to the processed human hair extensions. mtDNA extracted from the hair extensions was sequenced and compared to the revised Cambridge sequence (rCRS) to identify single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). SNPs were used to assign haplotypes and distinguish regional affiliations associated with the extensions in an attempt to establish the ethnicity of the hair donor’s maternal lineage. Hair extensions were associated with multiple geographic regions. Sequencing also identified hairs from multiple donors in each package.
University of Oklahoma – Norman, Oklahoma
Daniel T. Glatzhofer, Ph.D.
May 2004 – December 2005
- Synthesized [2,2]-(1,4)-Naphthalenophane and analyzed the product by two dimensional NMR experiments.
- Investigated oxazolines as valuable synthetic intermediates. The mode of reactivity of oxazolines with β-diketo-type molecules was examined. An unexpected compound of formula C10H17NO3 was obtained as the sole product of 2-ethyloxazoline with 2,4-pentanedione in a thermal ring-opening reaction. The structure of the product was studied by 1H, 13C, HSQC, g-HMBC, COSY and NOESY NMR experiments.
University of Oklahoma – Norman, Oklahoma
Susan Alguindgue, Ph.D.
March 2004 - June 2004
- Investigated C – H – N bonds in simple organic molecules utilizing modern NMR techniques such as variable temperature studies, NOE measurements, and two-dimensional characterization.
University of Oklahoma – Norman, Oklahoma
Douglas Gaffin, Ph.D.
October 2003 – May 2004
- Designed and constructed a tracking system to monitor the movement of scorpions in sand as a method of studying arachnid behavior and physiology. Tracking system used an array of piezoelectric crystals to measure the seismic waves generated by a scorpion’s footsteps, allowing for the triangulation of the scorpion’s position in a non-invasive way.
Porterfield, C., & McCoy, M. (2016). Service Learning in Forensic Science: A Tool for Transformative Education. University of Central Oklahoma Journal of Transformative Learning.
Porterfield, J. Z., Gaffin, D. D., Porterfield, C. E., & Johnston, C. N. (2004). Screening for scorpions: A non-invasive approach to tracking the movements of arachnids in sand. Euscorpius – Occasional Publications in Scorpiology. Victor Fet (Ed.): (17).
Edmond STEM Conference Forensic Science Workshop – Edmond, Oklahoma. August 31, 2018. "Forensic Science for the High School Classroom."
Oklahoma Science Teachers Association (OSTA) Forensic Science Workshop – Edmond, Oklahoma. June 6, 2018. "Fingerprint Processing and Analysis: It’s All in the Details."
National Council on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) Forensic Science Workshop – Edmond, Oklahoma. April 4, 2018. "The Proof is in the Prints."
American Academy of Forensic Sciences 70th Annual Conference – Seattle, Washington Education workshop hosted by the Council on Forensic Science Education. February 19, 2018. "Innovative Teaching with Active Learning Methods - Implementation in Forensic Science Education."
Transformative Learning Conference – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. March 2, 2017. "Transforming Students’ Living Environments into Academic Communities."
Academy of Forensic Sciences 69th Annual Conference – New Orleans, Louisiana. February 15 – 16, 2017. "Transforming Forensic Science Education with Service and Experiential Learning."
Academy of Forensic Sciences 69th Annual Conference – New Orleans, Louisiana. February 15 – 16, 2017. "The Forensic Value of Processed Human Hair Extensions."
University of Central Oklahoma 2017 Collegium – Edmond, Oklahoma. August 17, 2016. "Being a Faculty Partner in a Learning Community."
Transformative Learning Conference – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. April 1, 2016. "Service Learning in Forensic Science: A Tool for Transformative Education."
K20 Center Innovative Learning Institute – Norman, Oklahoma. December 3, 2015. "Career Café: The Recipe for Student Success."
American Chemical Society (ACS) Southwest Regional Meeting – Ft. Worth, Texas October 1, 2004. "NMR Structural Studies of an Unexpected Product from Reaction of 2-Ethyloxazoline with 2,4-Pentandione."
American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) – General, Member (2017 – present)
Council on Forensic Science Education (COFSE), Member (2017 – present)
National Society for Women in Forensic Science (NSWFS) – Public Relations Officer (2017 – present)
Delta Delta Epsilon Forensic Science International Honor Society – Secretary (2018 – 2019); Chair (2019 – 2021)
American Academy of Forensic Sciences Annual Conference (2012 – 2019)
Annual Collegium on College Teaching Practice (2017-2018)
University of Central Oklahoma Transformative Learning Conference (2016 – 2017)
K20 Innovative Learning Institute (2015)
Oklahoma Division of the International Association for Identification (2012 – 2019)
American Chemical Society Pentasectional Meeting (2012)
American Chemical Society Southwest Regional Meeting (2004)
Graduate Student Projects
Fingerprints and Race – Is it all in the details?
The Effect of Weathering on Bullet Analysis and Identification
The Forensic Value of Processed Human Hair Extensions (chemistry extension)
The Forensic Value of Electro-Spun Nanofiber Mesh for Sexual Assault Samples
Professional and Community Involvement
Service to Universities/Activities
Edmond STEM Conference – Forensic Science Workshop (2018)
UCO CSI High School Academy – Forensic Science Workshop (2018)
Oklahoma Science Teachers Association (OSTA) – Forensic Science Workshop, Coordinator (2018)
GEAR-UP Girl Power STEM Camp - University of Central Oklahoma (2018)
National Council on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) Forensic Science Workshop, FSI Co-Coordinator (2018)
Diversity and Inclusion Workshop – Forensic Science Living Learning Community, Faculty Coordinator (2017, 2018)
University of Central Oklahoma’s Education Colloquium, Evaluator (2017 – 2018)
Forensic Science Living-Learning Community, FSI Faculty Partner (2015 – present)
Forensic Science Institute High School Curriculum Training, FSI Coordinator (2015 – present)
Delta Delta Epsilon Forensic Science Honor Society, Faculty Advisor (2016 – present)
Student Academy of Forensic Sciences, Faculty Advisor (2015 – present)
K20 Center GEAR-UP for the Promise – Oklahoma City Public Schools (2012 – 2018)
OKC Memorial STEM Camp, FSI Coordinator (2016 – 2018)
OKC Memorial Family STEM Night, FSI Coordinator (2016 – 2018)
OKC Memorial Adult Forensics Night, FSI Coordinator (2019)
Oklahoma Mentor Day – Forensic Science Activities and Tours, FSI Coordinator (2017)
Oklahoma Science Museum Forensic Science Day, FSI Coordinator (2015)
Forensic Science Institute Get a Clue Murder Mystery Event, FSI Coordinator (2014 – present)
International Association for Identification (IAI) Conference, FSI Coordinator (2016 – 2017)
Oklahoma Highway Patrol ERT Training (CLEET), FSI Coordinator (2016)
Forensic Science Institute Law Enforcement Training (CLEET), FSI Coordinator (2015)
University of Central Oklahoma GEAR-UP Science Saturdays (2015)
University of Central Oklahoma Student Involvement Fair (2012 – 2014)
University of Central Oklahoma CareerQuest (2013 – 2014)
University of Central Oklahoma Forensic Science Boy Scout Weekend, FSI Coordinator (2012)
SEARCH – Choctaw Public Schools learning program for advanced elementary students (2012)
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation – Tire Tread Project (2012)
Edmond Police Department – EMSA Training and Mock Crime Scene (2012)
Graduate Faculty, Associate Member – University of Central Oklahoma (2018 – present)
Excellence in Teaching Award Selection Committee – University of Central Oklahoma (2018)
Future Educators Living Learning Community Committee – ESFR (2017 – present)
Quality Assurance Commons for Higher and Postsecondary Education Committee: Essential Employability Qualities (EEQ) Certification, (2017 – 2018)
PTE Sequence Committee – ESFR (2017 – 2018)
Student Involvement Committee – ESFR (2017)
Council on Forensic Science Education (2017 – present)
Forensic Science Institute Curriculum Council – FSI (2015 – present)
Positive Tomorrows – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Boys and Girls Club of Oklahoma County
Regional Food Bank – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Breast Cancer Awareness Fundraiser – Edmond, Oklahoma
Tutor at Norman Public Library – Norman, Oklahoma
Trick-or-Treat on the Street, FSI Coordinator – Edmond, Oklahoma
Forensic Science Institute Outreach Program for Oklahoma Public Schools, FSI Coordinator
Forensic Science Institute Outreach Program for Norman Public Schools, FSI Coordinator
Career Day – Cheyenne Middle School, Edmond; Southridge Junior High, Oklahoma City
The Big Event – University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma
YWCA of Oklahoma City – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
In regard to the practice of teaching, I am student-centered and maintain a culturally-responsive approach to pedagogy. I am committed to helping students become life-long learners and my teaching philosophy focuses on student individualism and developing educational programs to accommodate different learning styles. I maintain a growth mindset and work to create engaging lessons that connect content to students’ interests and experiences.
Watching Movies (especially Indiana Jones)
Eating: donuts, fried chicken, pizza
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.