Kato Buss, Ph.D.
Intm Assistant Dean/Professor
Kato Buss is a professor in the Department of Theatre Arts at UCO. He has more than 20 years of experience as a teacher, director and actor. Buss holds a Ph.D. in theatre studies from the University of Oregon. His scholarly work has been published in the Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism, Theatre / Practice, Texas Theatre Journal, Western States Theatre Review and North-Northwest Anthology of New Plays. His teaching career began as an artist-in-residence in South Dakota. At UCO, he teaches acting, directing, theatre history and dramatic literature. As a director, Buss received a Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Certificate of Commendation for his adaptation of Georg Buchner’s Woyzeck. As an actor, he appeared in films at the Tribeca Film Festival, deadCenter Film Festival and Comic-Con International. Buss is a graduate of the True Acting Institute Meisner Technique Program.
Education and Certifications
- Ph.D. Theatre Studies, University of Oregon, 2012.
- M.A. Theatre Performance, Humboldt State University, 2007.
- B.F.A. Theatre Performance, University of South Dakota, 1995.
- Meisner Technique Training Program, True Acting Institute, Larry Silverberg, 2018.
Honors and Awards
Vanderford Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Central Oklahoma, 2014.
Herbert S. Dordick Outstanding Mentor Award, University of Central Oklahoma, 2015.
UCO Excel Award, University of Central Oklahoma, 2016.
Faculty Award for Outstanding Development, Encouragement, and Support of Undergraduate Research, Creative, Scholarly Activities, University of Central Oklahoma, 2018.
Masonic Transformative Learning Award. Center for Excellence and Transformative Teaching and Learning. University of Central Oklahoma. 2021.
- THRT 4712: Directing and Collaboration, University of Central Oklahoma.
- THRT 4723: Acting Styles II, University of Central Oklahoma.
- THRT 4633: Acting On Camera, University of Central Oklahoma.
- THRT 4353: Theatre History I, University of Central Oklahoma.
- THRT 4363: Theatre History II, University of Central Oklahoma.
- THRT 3343: Development of Drama, University of Central Oklahoma.
- THRT 1553: Foundations of Theatre Arts, University of Central Oklahoma.
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
TEDx Talks: University of Central Oklahoma
Kato Buss, Ph.D., Imagination and Empathy: The Call of the Clown, TEDxUCO, 2015.
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.