Campus buildings reopened to the public effective July 1. Services are available virtually or by appointment only. Visitors should reach out to individual departments regarding appointments. Masks and social distancing are required while on campus. To learn more about current operations, view the university's summer reopening plan.
Barbara DeMaio, D.M.A.
The American Soprano Barbara Fox DeMaio has a deserved international fame.
Her vast repertoire includes all the great roles of a Puccini and Verdi soprano, performed in theatres in Italy, Swizerland, Germany and France; Tosca, Lady Macbeth, Turandot, Aida, Abigaille in Nabucco, and also Amelia in Ballo in Maschera, Elvira in Ernani, Lucrezia in I Due Foscari, Leonora in La Forza del Destino and Odabella in La Scala's Attila directed by Riccardo Muti. She is also a noted interpreter of Norma, the Bellini heroine. Since returning to the United States she has added new shows to her repertoire; Bolcom’s Medea and Hoiby’s Bon Appetit! as well as the Witch in Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel , Domina in Forum, Mama Rose in Gypsy, Grandma Helene in Freaky Friday and Costanza in the play Enchanted April.
DeMaio is currently an associate professor of Voice at the University of Central Oklahoma, teaching both Opera and Musical Theatre styles; is the executive director of Painted Sky Opera; and a Level III Somatic Voicework© teacher. In October 2016, she was honored to be named as a Member Laureate by Sigma Alpha Iota. Her DMA Vocal pedagogy degree at Shenandoah University included dissertation research on the effect of menopause on the elite singing voice that she has since presented in the form of workshops and presentations across the US, and also in Ravenna, Italy, and Colchester, England.
Education and Certifications
- BM in Vocal Performance from Oklahoma City University
- MM in Opera Performance from Oklahoma City University
- Level Three Certified Somatic Voicework© the LoVetri Method Teacher
- DMA Vocal Pedagogy, Shenandoah Conservatory
Honors and Awards
- 2016 - present Executive Director, Painted Sky Opera, Oklahoma City, OK
- 2015 Workshop on teaching the Menopausal Voice at The Voice Foundation
- 2014 Workshop on teaching the Menopausal Voice at Texoma NATS
- 2014 Presented research at Fall Voice Conference, San Antonio, Texas
- 2013 Inducted into Alpha Chi Honor Society at Shenandoah University
- 2013 to Present Member of the Voice Foundation; presented at 42nd Annual Symposium
- VP Ritual, Sigma Alpha Iota, Edmond Alumna Chapter
- 2013 to present, Faculty Advisor, UCO chapter of SAI
- 2012 to present Vice President of Pi Kappa Lamda, University of Central Oklahoma
- 2011 to present Artistic Director, American Singers Opera Project, North Carolina Division
- 2012 and 2013 Judge, Finals of Classical Singer Convention
- 2010 Judge, Charlotte Opera Guild Competition
- 2009 Vice President of Production, Greensboro Opera
- 2008 to 2010 Music Director, Delta Kappa Gamma, Zeta Chapter
- 2008 Secretary, Executive Board and General Board, Greensboro Opera
- 2008 Inducted into Delta Kappa Gamma, Zeta Chapter, Honor Society for Women Educators
- 2008 District Judge NATSAA Competition NATS North Carolina
- 2007 Co-chair of Education Committee, Greensboro Opera Company
- 2007 to 2010, President of Pi Kappa Lambda, Iota Psi Chapter, Salem College
- 2006 to 2011, Executive Director of American Singers Opera Project, North Carolina Division
- 2006 to 2009, Member of Artistic Concerns Committee, Greensboro Opera Company
- 2006 to 2009 Board of Directors of Greensboro Opera Company
- 2004 to present Member in good standing of National Association of Teachers of Singing
- 2000 and 2001 Judge for “Voci Verdiane,” held in Busseto, Italy, Italy’s leading Verdi competition
- 2000 Outside auditor for the juries of Conservatorio di Santa Cecilia in Rome, Italy
- 1994 to present Member of the Board of Directors of American Singers Opera Project
- 1992 Inducted as a member of the Performance Hall Of Fame at Oklahoma City University
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
The Voice It Is A-Changin’ in Voicing Girlhood, Routledge Press, June 2016
The Menopausal Voice – Singing Through The Storm in The Female Voice, Compton Press
Professional and Community Involvement
Executive Director and Co-Founder, Painted Sky Opera
Edmond, Oklahoma Rotary
Board Member, Diversity Business Alliance
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.