Katie Eaves, Ph.D.
Learn Strategy & Desgn Conslt
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. | Journalism and Mass Communication | Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Oklahoma | 2018
Graduate Certificate | Women's and Gender Studies | University of Oklahoma Graduate College | 2011
M.A. | Communication | Elliott School of Communication, Wichita State University | 2008
B.A. | Journalism | Elliott School of Communication, Wichita State University | 2006
Certifications and Professional Development
Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt | Gallogly College of Engineering, University of Oklahoma
Learning Experience Design Certification | LX Studio | University of Central Oklahoma
Articulate Storyline Certification | Association for Talent Development
Cleaning Up Your Writing | Presented by Dr. Kenna Griffin | Webinar attended March 10
Word, PowerPoint, & Articulate Rise Accessibility Training | Oklahoma ABLETech, Oklahoma State University | 2021-22
Oklahoma Women in Higher Education Conference | Pathways, Pitfalls, and Purpose in Higher Education | Attended November 28
eLearning Facilitation Certification | Center for eLearning and Connected Environments (CeCE) | University of Central Oklahoma | 2021 and 2015
Honors and Awards
University of Oklahoma
- 2013-14 | Lachenmeyer Scholarship, $750
- 2010-13 | Gaylord Graduate Student Scholarship, $1,000
- 2010 | Betty Baum and Norman Hirschfield Endowed Scholarship, $4,000
- 2009 | Top Student Paper, AEJMC Magazine Division, $100
Wichita State University
- 2009 | Best Graduate Thesis
- 2009 | Best Graduate Scholarly Paper
- 2005 | Grace Howell Memorial Journalism Scholarship, $500
- 2004 | Wichita Professional Communicators Scholarship, $750
- 2004 | Society of Professional Journalists Scholarship, $1,000
- 2004 | W. L. Graham Journalism Scholarship, $1,000
University of Oklahoma | Michael F. Price College of Business
- Business and Professional Basics (*transitioned online during COVID-19)
- Business Communications (*transitioned online during COVID-19)
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Writing for the Mass Media (lab instructor)
- Mass Communication Law (teaching assistant)
- Mass Communication Law (instructor of record)
The University of Central Oklahoma | Department of Mass Communication
- Fundamentals of Speech
Oklahoma City Community College | Division of Arts and Humanities
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Success in College and Life
Mid-America Christian University | College of Adult and Graduate Studies
- Introduction to Public Speaking*
- Introduction to College English*
- Organizational Communication*
Butler County Community College | Department of Arts, Humanities and Communication
Wichita State University | Elliott School of Communication
Fundamentals of Public Speaking
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
Johnson, C. R. & Eaves, K. L. (2013). An ounce of time, a pound of responsibilities and a ton of weight to lose: An autoethnographic journey of barriers, message adherence, and the weight-loss process. Public Relations Inquiry 2(1), 95-116.
Just another lifestyle choice? Murphy Brown, single mothers, and the development of an American ideograph. Paper presented at the Making Motherhood Visible conference, March 5-7, New York, NY.
Communicating the possible – you CAN survive comps! Panel presentation presented at the Central States Communication Association conference, April 4-6, Kansas City, MO.
Money, mothers, and mediators: A thematic analysis of Say Yes to the Dress. Paper accepted to the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference August 10-13, St. Louis, MO.
Eaves, K. L., Delaney, D., & Huang, Q., The image of motherhood: A content analysis of mother images in parenting magazines. Poster presented at the National Communication Association conference November, 14-17 San Francisco, CA.
Social identity, the “mommy wars,” and the media: A theoretical exploration. Poster presented at the National Communication Association conference November 14-17, San Francisco, CA.
Agency, activism or both? Feminism and mothering in the public sphere. Paper presented at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference, August 4-7, Denver, CO.
Unrealistic expectations: Representations of celebrity motherhood in People magazine. Paper presented at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference August 5-9, Boston, MA.
How could this have happened? A rhetorical criticism of the apologia employed by newspapers after an incident of journalist fraud. Paper presented at the National Communication Association conference November 15-18, Chicago, IL.
She’s not a woman, she’s a newspaperman. Panel presentation at the American Journalism Historians Association Conference October 12-14, Richmond, VA.
How could this have happened? A rhetorical criticism of the apologia employed by newspapers after an incident of journalist fraud. Paper presented at the Sooner Communication Conference March 2-3, Norman, OK.
Where is the love? How parenting magazines discuss the mommy wars and why it matters. Paper presented at the Southwest Popular Culture Association conference February 25-28, Albuquerque, NM.
Professional and Community Involvement
Campus and Department Talks | University of Oklahoma
Managing Toxic Teams: How to successfully navigate and overcome dysfunctional team dynamics. Guest lecture for Prof. Michelle Grunsted, BAD-3091. Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma. March 15, Norman, OK.
Toxic Teams: Managing dysfunctional teams and teammates. Guest lecture for Prof. Michelle Grunsted, BAD-3710. Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma. March 2 & October 19, Norman, OK.
Effective Presentations. OU Executive MBA in Energy. Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma. January 3, Norman, OK.
Effective Presentation Basics. OU MBA Student Orientation. Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma. August 14, Oklahoma City, OK.
Engaging Audiences and Conquering Presentation Anxiety. Delta Sigma Pi Business Student Honor Society. Price College of Business, University of Oklahoma. August 28, Norman, OK.
Professional Service | University of Oklahoma
- 2021 | Guest Speaker, BAD-3091
- 2020 | Guest Speaker, BAD-3710
- 2020 | Guest Speaker, OU EMBA Seminar
- 2019 | Guest Speaker, OU MBA orientation
- 2019 | Guest Speaker, Delta Sigma Pi
- 2012 | Moderator for AEJMC Mid-Winter conference panel
- 2011-2012 | Academic Appeals and Student Misconduct Committee panel
- 2010 | Moderator for AEJMC Mid-Winter conference panel
- 2010 | Registration worker for AEJMC Mid-Winter conference panel
Professional Service | Wichita State University
- 2007-08 | Co-President, Elliott School of Communication Graduate Student Association
- 2007 | Assistant to the Registrar, American Journalism Historian Association
- 2007 Guest Lecturer for Professor Dan Close
- 2007 | Judge, Kansas High School Scholastic Press Association
- 2007 Judge, History Day Competition
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.