Effective Monday, May 24, 2021, UCO will no longer mandate the use of masks or social distancing. Those who have not been vaccinated should continue to wear a mask to protect themselves and others. Those who have been vaccinated may continue to voluntarily wear a mask if they choose.
Important resources: COVID-19 Testing | Report Exposure/Positive Test | Vaccine Information | COVID-19 Vaccination Self-Reporting | Virtual Services | COVID-19 Website
SeonMi Choi, Ph.D.
Associate professor SeonMi Choi joined the University of Central Oklahoma Department of Design in 2013. She received her Ph.D. in Interior Design from the University of Minnesota, an MD in Product Design and a BS in Housing and Interior Design from the Yonsei University in South Korea. She has been interested in development of a reliable and a valid post-occupancy evaluation (POE) tool to evaluate the sustainable building indoor environmental quality, integration of Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Interior Design Education, and design and space planning guideline development for the disaster temporary shelter and housing. Her teaching focuses on computer visualization, evidence-based design and sustainable design at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Education and Certifications
Dec. 2011 Doctor of Philosophy, Interior Design, College of Design, University of Minnesota
Feb. 2002 Master of Design, Product Design, Department of Human Environment & Design, College of Human Ecology, Yonsei University, South Korea
Feb. 1999 Bachelor of Science, Department of Housing & Interior Design, College of Human Ecology, Yonsei University, South Korea
Evidence-Based Design Accreditation and Certification (EDAC), issued by The Center for Health Design
LEED Green Associate (LEED GA), issued by U.S. Green Building Council
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
1. Choi, S. (2018), Theme & Issue: The current and emerging issues of disaster temporary housing and new prototypes. Journal of the Korea Housing Association, 29(3), 5-8.
2. Choi, S., & Wright, A. (2018). Disaster temporary housing new prototypes. International Association People-Environment Studies (IAPS) Conference. Rome, Italy.
3. Kim, M., Choi, S., Choi, Y., Naney, L., & Cotton, T. (2018). Analysis of the shelter needs of disaster victims by comparing emergency and temporary shelters between South Korea and U.S. in mass media. International Association People-Environment Studies (IAPS) Conference. Rome, Italy.
4. Kim. M, Choi, S., Choi, Y. (2017), Analysis of the space planning guidance about the temporary shelter emphasizing habitability for disaster victims in U.S. Journal of Korean Institute of Interior Design, 26(5).
5. Choi, S. (2017). Potential of augmented reality and virtual reality technologies as interior design visualization and presentation tools. Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC) 2017 Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
6. Kim, M., Choi, S., & Choi, Y. (2016). Comparative study on the planning guide of emergency shelter after disaster between South Korea and U.S. Korean Institute of Interior Design 2016 Spring Conference, Cheong-ju, Chungbuk, South Korea.
7. Choi, S. (2016), News & Review: Building type basics – Senior living, Journal of the Korea Housing Association, 28(3). 43-44.
8. Choi, S. (2016). Shifting towards Augmented Reality in interior design education, 47th Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA) Conference. Raleigh, NC.
9. Choi, S. (2015). Innovative workspace and work process: Smart Office strategies. 9th Design Principles and Practices Conference. Chicago, IL.
10. Choi, S. (2014). Future paradigm of working environments: “Smart Workplace”. 45th Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA) Conference. New Orleans, LA.
11. Choi, S., Guerin, D., Kim, H., Brigham, J., & Bauer, T. (2013-2014), Indoor environmental quality of classrooms and student outcomes: A path analysis approach. Journal of Learning Spaces, 2(2).
12. Guerin, D., Brigham, J., Kim, H., Choi, S., & Scott, A. (2013). Validity and reliability testing of a post-occupancy evaluation questionnaire on indoor environmental quality and occupants' satisfaction. International Journal of Sustainable Design, 2(2), 128-148.
DES1013 Interior Design for Non-Majors
DES1033 Design Foundation II
DES2343 Materials and Textiles
DES2633 Visualization II
DES3273 Interior Design Studio III
DES3283 Visualization III
DES3333 Sustainable Design
DES3813 Interior Design Research
DES4773 Interior Design Thesis Project
DES4833 Interior Design Portfolio Development
DES5393 Design Studio II
DES5593 Design Studio III
DES5493 Design Research Project
DES5543 Design Research 2
DES5633 Visualization Studio
DES5753 Sustainable Design Studio
DES5843 Teaching Design
DES5910 Seminar/Special Topics
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.