Kimberly Pennington, Ph.D.
Honors and Awards
- Moore Public Schools site Teacher of the Year ('97, '04) and Moore Public Schools District Teacher of the Year ('04).
- National Board Certified Teacher ('00-'17)
- University of Oklahoma Provost’s Distinction in Teaching award for two consecutive semesters ('14).
- James Madison Fellowship (‘00) for the study of the Constitution,
- OU Society for Innovative Education Fellowship (’13)
- Mount Vernon Lifeguard Fellowship (‘13) for the study of George Washington.
- UCO College of Education and Professional Studies Collaborative Teamwork Award, 2015
- UCO College of Education and Professional Studies Collaborative Teamwork Award, 2016
- UCO College of Education and Professional Studies Emergent Faculty Award, 2018
Education and Certifications
University of Oklahoma: B.S. History ('94)
MA (Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum ('03)
Ph.D. (Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum ('14)
National Board Certification (2000-2017)
Oklahoma State Department of Education Teaching Certificate
1994-2015 Secondary Social Studies
Foundations of American Education
Social Studies Methods
Assistant Professor, Educational Sciences, Foundations and Research ('14-present)
Coordinator of School Partnerships, College of Education and Professional Studies ('13-'14)
University of Oklahoma Adjunct Instructor, Jeanine Rainbolt College of Education, ILAC ('00-'12)
Moore Public Schools, Secondary Social Studies teacher ('94-'12)
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
- Pennington, K. Developing critically conscious and wide-awake teachers: Advocacy and urban educators. In Ethridge, E.A., Davis, J.M.and Winterbottom, E. (Eds.) Advocacy in Education: Research-Based Strategies for Teachers, Administrators, Parents, and the Community. New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers. Forthcoming 2020.
- Pennington, K., (2018) Consumption. In Krutka, D. & Whitlock A.M. (Eds.) Keywords in the Social Studies: Concepts and Conversations (pp. 237-247). New York, NY: Peter Lang Publisher.
- Houser, N. O., Krutka, D. G., Province Roberts, R., Pennington, K., & Faili Coerver, N. (2017). Navigating the reform–accountability culture in Oklahoma Social studies. Theory & Research in Social Education, 45(1), 7-42.
Pennington, K. (2014). Creating a visionary commons for global education. The Ohio Social Studies Review, 51(1).
- Woglom, L., & Pennington, K. (2010). The Bystander's dilemma: how can we turn our students into upstanders? Social Education, 74(5), 254-258.
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.