Assistant Director STLR
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. (in progress), Learning Sciences, University of Oklahoma
M.S., Zoology, University of Oklahoma
B.S., Biology, Oklahoma Baptist University
My current work goals include:
- Helping college students succeed academically
- Facilitating student transformative learning inside and outside the classroom for greater potential for success in the work force
- Contributing to the field of biology education through teaching, classroom technology research/exploration, and service to professional organizations (e.g. Association for Biology Laboratory Education)
My extra-curricular activities include service on the boards of directors of Partners for Madagascar, Joiners, the Association for Biology Laboratory Education and the Oklahoma Compost and Sustainability Association, including assisting with website upkeep; continued interest in herpetology and Madagascar, contract work with biology textbook publishing companies, traveling, church, and spending time with my family.
University of Central Oklahoma; Edmond, OK
- Jul 2015–present, Assistant Director of the Student Transformative Learning Record
- Fall 2018, Instructor, Department of Biology: General Biology (part-time)
- Fall 2016, Instructor, Student Success: Success Central (part-time)
- Nov 2014–Jul 2015, Director of Experiential Learning
University of Oklahoma; Norman, OK
- Jan 2008–May 2021, Instructor, Department of Biology: Introduction to Zoology, Contemporary Issues in Biology (online), and Field Ecology & Entomology (part-time)
- Dec 2010–Nov 2014, Director of the Student Learning Center, University College (Supplemental duty: Feb 2008-present: Web manager, University College)
- Spring 2013, Instructor, University College: Strategies for Success (part-time)
- Aug 2007–Dec 2010, Assistant Director of the Assessment and Learning Center, University College
- Aug 2003–Dec 2005, Instructor, Department of Zoology: Introduction to Zoology, Introduction to Zoology labs, and Contemporary Issues in Biology (online) (part time)
- Aug 2002–Aug 2005, Managerial Assistant/Student Services Assistant IV, Department of Zoology; Research areas: scorpion neurobiology, herpetology, ecology, and teaching technology
W.W. Norton & Company; New York, NY
- 2018, 2020-2021, Digital Author / Subject Matter Expert, Biology (part-time)
McGraw-Hill Higher Education; Dubuque, IA
- 2003, 2008–2015, Digital Author / Subject Matter Expert, Biology (part-time)
University of North Carolina; Chapel Hill, NC
- Aug 2005–Aug 2007, Student Services Assistant/Manager, Department of Chemistry
University of Oklahoma; Oklahoma City, OK
- Jun-Aug 2002, Research Technician I, Department of Cell Biology, Dr. Celeste Wirsig's lab; Research area: olfaction, neurobiology
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
Brunstein, J., M.E. Walvoord, & E. Cunliff. 2021. Problem-posing in management classrooms for collective sustainability transformation. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 22(3):477-496. doi: 10.1108/IJSHE-05-2020-0141
Walvoord, M.E. 2020. An online introductory biology syllabus for transformative learning. Article 87 In: McMahon, K. (Ed), Advances in biology laboratory education. Volume 41. Publication of the 41st Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE). https://doi.org/10.37590/able.v41.abs87
Walvoord, M.E. and J.D. Pleitz. 2016. Applying matched sampling to evaluate a university tutoring program for first-year students. The Learning Assistance Review, 21(1):99-113.
Walvoord, M.E. and M. Hoefnagels. 2016. The Effects of iPad Use on Student Attitude and Course Grades. In Tested studies for laboratory teaching, vol. 36 (K. A. McMahon, Editor), Proceedings of the 36th Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE), June 2014.
Walvoord, M.E. and M.H. Hoefnagels. 2011. Conversion immersion: converting old and writing new clicker questions for your biology courses. In Tested studies for laboratory teaching, vol. 32 (K. McMahon, Editor). Proceedings of the 32nd Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE), June 2010.
Walvoord, M.E., M.H. Hoefnagels, D.D. Gaffin, M.M. Chumchal, and D.A. Long. 2008. An analysis of calibrated peer review (CPR) in a science lecture classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching, 37(4):66-73.
Fenolio, D.B., M.E. Walvoord, J.F. Stout, J.E. Randrianirina, and F. Andreone. 2007. A new tree hole breeding Anodonthyla (Chordata: Anura: Microhylidae: Cophylinae) from low-altitude rainforests of the Masoala Peninsula, northeastern Madagascar. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, 120(1):86-98.
Hoefnagels, M. and M.E. Walvoord. 2006. Chicken wing microbiology: a lesson in food safety and microbiological technique. In Tested studies for laboratory teaching, vol. 27 (M.A. O'Donnell, Editor). Proceedings of the 27th Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE), June 2005.
Cumberlidge, N., D. Fenolio, M.E. Walvoord, and J. Stout. 2005. Tree-climbing crabs (Potamonautidae and Sesarmidae) from phytotelmic microhabitats in rainforest canopy in Madagascar. Journal of Crustacean Biology, 25(2):302-308.
Hoefnagels, M. and M.E. Walvoord. 2005. Conversion immersion: working together to create investigative labs. In Tested studies for laboratory teaching, vol. 26 (M.A. O'Donnell, Editor). Proceedings of the 26th Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE), June 2004.
Gaffin, D.D. and M.E. Walvoord. 2004. Scorpion peg sensilla: are they the same or are they different? In Euscorpius (V. Fet, Editor). Proceedings of the 3rd Scorpiology Symposium, number 17.
Andreone, F., D.B. Fenolio, and M.E. Walvoord. 2003. Two unknown arboreal frogs (genus Platypelis) described from the rain forests of northeastern Madagascar (Microhylidae: Cophylinae). Current Herpetology, 22(2):91-100.
Walvoord, M.E. 2003. Cricket frogs maintain body hydration and temperature near levels allowing maximum jump performance. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology, 76(6):825-835.
Honors and Awards
2021: UBS Modeling the Way Award (STLR Team); 21st Century Pedagogy Institute Teacher-Scholar
2019: 21st Century Pedagogy Institute, Distinguished Teacher-Scholar
2017: Student Affairs Partnership Award
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.