Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Ph.D.
I received my B.S. (Hons) degree in Chemistry from the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka and my Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry from Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Missouri. The main goal of my research is to apply analytical chemistry techniques in aiding the betterment of human health. My research is mainly focused on the investigation of biomarkers for non-invasive early diagnosis of cancer. Other than that, I have research expertise in Metabolomics, Microfluidics, Environmental Analysis, and Pharmaceutical Analysis. I utilize various analytical instruments like LC-MS/MS, HPLC, CE, GC-MS, Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy, Lab-on-a-Chip devices for my research. Currently, I teach Instrumental Analysis Lecture and Lab classes.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry (2012) from Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, Missouri.
B.S. (Hons) in Chemistry (2006) from the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
2015-Present Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK
2013-2015 Visiting Assistant Professor, Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY
2012-2013 Pharmaceutical Scientist, Analytical Research Labs, Oklahoma City, OK
2007-2012 Graduate Research Assistant, Missouri University of Science & Tech, Rolla, MO
2006-2007 Assistant Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
CHEM 3453 – Fundamentals of Instrumental Analysis
CHEM 3453L- Fundamentals of Instrumental Analysis Laboratory
CHEM 2104 – Quantitative Chemical Analysis
CHEM 2104L– Quantitative Chemical Analysis Laboratory
CHEM 3621 – Professionalism in Chemistry II (Developed this course)
CHEM 4892 – Capstone for Chemistry (Developed this course)
CHEM 1223 – General Chemistry II
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Teacher-Scholar - 2019, Center for Excellence in Transformative Teaching & Learning - UCO
- Travel Award - 2019, Oklahoma IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (OK-INBRE)
- Research Opportunity Award – 2017, Oklahoma IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (OK-INBRE)
- Freedman Award for Student-Faculty Collaborative Research (Physical & Life Sciences) – 2014, Hartwick College, New York
- John W. Claypool Award for Biomedical Research – 2012, Center for Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Missouri
- Marilyn and Richard Vitek Graduate Fellowship for Outstanding Performance in Analytical Chemistry – 2011, Department of Chemistry, Missouri University of Science & Technology, Missouri.
- Agilent Travel Award - 2011 for Midwestern Universities Analytical Chemistry Conference, Missouri.
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
- Chuan Wang, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Honglan Shi, Craig D Adams,Terry Timmons, Yinfa Ma "Investigation of Occurrence and Removal of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in Natural Water by using Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry" Water Research (2010) 45:1818-1828.
- Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Stephen Gibbons, Yinfa Ma, "Investigation of Urinary Pteridine Levels as Potential Biomarkers for Non-invasive Diagnosis of Cancer" Clinica Chimica Acta. (2011) 412:120-128.
- Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Yinfa Ma “Biomarker analysis for prostate cancer diagnosis using LC-MS and CE-MS” Bioanalysis (2011) 3(18): 2129-2142.
- Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Honglan Shi, Yinfa Ma, “Quantitative Determination of Taurine and Related Biomarkers in Urine by Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry” Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry (2012) 402(2):763-70.
- Casey Burton, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Yinfa Ma, “A Novel Enzymatic Technique for Determination of Sarcosine in Urine Samples” Analytical Methods (2012) 4: 141–146.
- Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Anthony Kaczmarek, Yongqing Jiang, Xiaoling Cheng, Maduka Rupasinghe, Yinfa Ma, “Validation Study of Urinary Metabolites as Biomarkers for Prostate Cancer Detection” Bioanalysis (2012) 402: 763-77.
- Casey Burton, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Yinfa Ma, “Partial Enzymatic Elimination and Quantification of Sarcosine from Alanine using Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry” Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry (2013) 405: 3153-3158.
- Danielle M. West, Ruipu Mu, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Yinfa Ma, Craig Adams, Todd Eichholz, Joel G. Burken, Honglan Shi, “Simultaneous detection of perchlorate and bromate using rapid high-performance ion exchange chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry and perchlorate removal in drinking water” Environmental Science and Pollution Research (2015) 22:8594-8602.
- Nichole Maughan, Luan Nguyen, Sanjeewa Gamagedara* "Microfluidic Separation and Electrochemical Detection of Serotonin using a Portable Lab-on-a-Chip Device" Analytical & Bioanalytical Electrochemistry(2015) 7(1):1-11.
- Sanjeewa Gamagedara*, Oscar Baawuah, Luan Nguyen “Paper Microfluidic Method to Quantify Taurine in Urine Samples: A College Level Introductory Chemistry Experiment” The Chemical Educator (2015) 20:134-137.
- Yinfa Ma, Sanjeewa Gamagedara “Biomarker Analysis for Oncology” Biomarkes in Medicine (2015) 9(9):845-850.
- Ting-An Yen, Kaushalya Dahal, Barry Lavine, Zayed Hassan, Sanjeewa Gamagedara*, “Development and Validation of High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Method for Quantitative Determination of gentisic acid and Related Renal Cell Carcinoma Biomarkers in Human Urine” Microchemical Journal (2018) 137: 85-89
- Matthew Benton, Mohammad Robiul Hossan, Prashanth Reddy Konari, Sanjeewa Gamagedara "Effect of Process Parameters and Material Properties on Laser Micromachining of Microchannels" Micromachines(2019) 10(2):123
- Kritika Shakya, Patricia Rayas-Duarte, Zorba Hernandes, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Kanika Bhargava "Gluten Free Tortillas of Finger Millet (Eleusine coracana) fortified with Chickpea (Cicer arietinum)"Advances in Food Technology and Nutritional Sciences (2019) 5(1):19-25
- Kaushalya Dahal, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, Nuwan Perera, Barry K. Lavine "Analysis of gentisic acid and related renal cell carcinoma biomarkers using reversed-phase liquid chromatography with water-rich mobile phases", Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies (2019) 42:19-20, 681-687
- Tyler Cook, Yinfa Ma, Sanjeewa Gamagedara*, “Evaluation of Statistical Techniques to Normalize Mass Spectrometry-Based Urinary Metabolomics Data” Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Analysis (2020) 177:112854
- Rashmi V. Amarender, Kanika Bhargava, Aaron T. Dossey, Sanjeewa Gamagedara, "Lipid and protein extraction from edible insects–Crickets (Gryllidae)" LWT - Food Science and Technology (2020) 125:1092222
Professional and Community Involvement
American Chemical Society (ACS)
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.