Tierney Harvey, Ph.D.
Tierney Harvey has been teaching at UCO since Fall 2015. She is a civil engineer by degree but teaches a variety of Physics and Engineering courses at UCO. She loves teaching and working with students and aims to make learning fun.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2015
B.S. with High Distinction in Civil Engineering, 2009
Minor in Environmental Science
University of Virginia
Honors and Awards
- Strength of Materials
- General Physics 1
- Materials Science
- Fluid Dynamics
- Water Resources Engineering
- University Physical Science
- Earth Science and Earth Science (Online)
- Astronomy (Online)
- Heat Transfer Lab
- Strength of Materials Lab
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles (published)
1. Foster-Wittig, T., Thoma, E., Green, R. , Hater, G., Swan, N., and Chanton, J. (2015). Development of a Mobile Tracer Correlation Method for Assessment of Air Emissions from Landfills and Other Area Sources. Atmospheric Environment. 102. pp 323–330
2. Foster-Wittig, T., Albertson, J., and Thoma, E. (2015). Single sensor time series technique for estimation of point source fugitive emission rates: a conditionally-sampled Gaussian plume reconstruction. Atmospheric Environment. 115. pp 101-109
3. Albertson, J., Harvey , T., Swingler, A., Foderaro, G., Ferrari, S., Amin, S., Modrak, M., Brantley, H., and Thoma, E. (2016). A Mobile Sensing Approach for Regional Surveillance of Fugitive Methane Emissions in Oil and Gas Production. Environmental Science and Technology. 50 (5), pp 2487–2497
4. De la Cruz, F., Green, R., Hater, G., Chanton , J., Thoma, E., Harvey, T., and Barlaz, M. (2016). Comparison of Field Measurements to Methane Emissions Models at a New Landfill. Environmental Science and Technology. 50. pp 9432-9441
5. Cambaliza, Maria O.L., Bogner, Jean E., Green, Roger B., Shepson, Paul B., Harvey. Tierney A., Spokas, Kurt A. (2017). Using field measurements and modeling to resolve m2 to km2 scale CH4 emissions for a complex area source: The Indiana Landfill Study. Elem Sci Anth. 2017;5:36. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.145
6. Foster-Wittig, T., Albertson, J., and Thoma, E. (2014). Landfill Emission Diurnal Variation: Case Study at One Georgia Landfill. Second Annual Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks.
Lecturing Professor for Engineering and Physics Department, Fall 2015- Present
University of Central Oklahoma
Adjunct Professor for Dynamics, Earth Science, Statics, and Mechanics of Materials, Spring 2015-Present
Oklahoma City Community College
Instructor of Record for Water Resources Engineering, Fall 2014
Professor Harvey believes in creating an inclusive classroom environment where she tries to get students excited about the material. She uses class time for both lecture and group activity. She uses technology to her advantage by supplying supplementary video lectures to allow for more group activity and problem solving in class. She always makes herself available for students outside the classroom for any additional help needed. She believes in setting high standards and working hard with the students to have those standards met so students leave the course having gained course knowledge as well as skills that can translate to future courses and future work.
Honors and Awards
Outstanding Faculty Award from OCCC, Fall 2017
Bass Instructional Fellowship, Spring 2014
Thompson Award (Most Outstanding UVA Civil Engineering Student), Spring 2009
EIT, Passing Level on Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, Spring 2009
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.