UCO COVID-19 protocols remain in place for the spring 2021 semester. Masks are required on campus when around others.
Important resources: COVID-19 Testing | Report Exposure/Positive Test | On-Campus Vaccine Clinic | COVID-19 Vaccination Self-Reporting | Virtual services | COVID-19 website
Monica Lam, Ph.D.
Monica Lam, Ph.D., has work experience as business dean of the University of Central Oklahoma, business dean of Thomas Jefferson University/Philadelphia University, associate dean for Graduate and External Programs, MIS Area liaison, and MIS chair pro tem of California State University Sacramento and Executive Officer of MBA Division of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Her administration accomplishments include the ranking #2 of US News and World Report for the Part-Time MBA Program and the ranking No. 2 of 2014 US News and World Report for the Online Master of Science in Accountancy Program in the California State University System, the International MBA program in Singapore - the first CSUS graduate degree program delivered at an overseas site, and the International MBA program on campus - the first CSUS cohort-based MBA program for international students. Her publications appear in Decision Support Systems, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Neural Networks, Journal of the Operational Research Society, European Journal of Operational Research, Annals of Operations Research, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Information Systems Management, Journal of Education for Business, Journal of Technology Research, and others. She performed consulting, internship, and research activities with Wells Fargo Bank, California State Parks and Recreation Department, Access Health and the University of Science and Technology in Hong Kong. In addition, she co-authored two textbooks published by Prentice Hall. She holds a computer program copyright of rule extraction for backpropagation, which converts the learning results from neural network backpropagation training into symbolic classification rules.
Education and Certifications
- M.Div., Western Seminary, Sacramento, CA
- Ph.D., Management Information Systems, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Thesis: Weight Decay Training, Fuzzy Set Techniques, and Rule Extraction for Backpropagation ‐ Learning from Incomplete and Imprecise Data
- M.S., Business Computing Science, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- B.S., Sociology, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
- AAT – Associate Accounting Technologist, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada)
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
- Accounting Information System Cases (with Merle Martin), Prentice Hall, (2002). (ISBN: 0‐13‐035289‐6)
- Integrated Systems: The Accountant in the 21st Century (with Merle Martin and Victor Dossey), Pearson Custom Publishing, 2005. (ISBN: 0‐536‐85839‐X)
Refereed Journal Publications
- The Blurred Boundaries of Social Media: Can Social Media Interactivity Reduce Work Exhaustion? (with Y. Lui and J. Lo). e-Journal of Social & Behavioural Research in Business, 11(3), 2020, 2-22.
- Mediating Effects of Stakeholders and Supervision on Corporate Social Responsibility (with F. Wang and J. Lo). Business Ethics and Leadership, ARMG Publishing, 4(1), 2020, 43-56.
- Driving Mechanism of Corporate Social Responsibility in United States and Mainland China (with F. Wang and S. Varshney), Electronic Journal of Business Ethics and Organization Studies, 22(1), 2017, 15-27.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Motivation, Pressures, and Barriers (with F. Wang and S. Varshney), Journal of International Business Ethics, 9(1/2), 2016, 6-15.
- A Path Analysis Model for Web Application Success, Journal of Technology Research, 5, September 2014.
- Methodologies, Tools, and Techniques in Practice for Web Application Development, Journal of Technology Research, 3, July 2012.
- Credibility Factors and Content Management for Commercial Web Sites (with J. Lo), Research in Higher Education Journal, 5, December 2009.
- Effectiveness of Web-Based Courses on Technical Learning, Journal of Education for Business, 84(6), July/August 2009, 323-331.
- Switching Customers from Branches to Internet: A Credit Union's Journey (with S. Katuri). Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 11(3), 2007, 229-248.
- Neural Network Techniques for Financial Performance Prediction: Integrating Fundamental and Technical Analysis. Decision Support Systems, 37(4), 2004, 567-581.
- Performance Comparison between Active Server Pages and Common Gateway Interface (with V. D. Truong). International Journal of Business and Economics, 2(1), Fall 2002, 1-6.
- Generalized Analytic Rule Extraction for Feedforward Neural Networks (with A. Gupta and S. Park). IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 11(6), November/December 1999, 985-991.
- The Weight Decay Backpropagation for Generalizations with Missing Values (with A. Gupta). Annals of Operations Research, 78, 1998, 985-991.
- Weight Decay Backpropagation for Noisy Data (with A. Gupta). Neural Networks - The Official Journal of the International Neural Network Society, European Neural Network Society, and Japanese Neural Network Society, 11(6), August 1998, 1127-1137.
- Determining Core MIS Skills (with R. K. H. Ching and L. W. Glorfeld). International Business Schools Computing Quarterly, 10(1), Summer 1998, 9-18.
- Information Integration in Multidimensional Databases: A Case Study (with R. K. H. Ching). Information Systems Management, 15(4), Fall 1998, 36-45.
- Estimating Missing Values Using Neural Networks (with A. Gupta). Journal of the Operational Research Society, 47(2), 1996, 229-238.
- A Fuzzy Mathematical Model for the Joint Economic Lot Size Problem with Multiple Price Breaks (with D. S. Wong). European Journal of Operational Research, 95(3), December 1996, 611-622.
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.