Campus buildings reopened to the public effective July 1. Services are available virtually or by appointment only. Visitors should reach out to individual departments regarding appointments. Masks and social distancing are required while on campus. To learn more about current operations, view the university's summer reopening plan.
Steven Griggs, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Prof(Temp)
Steven Griggs. Ph.D., combines strong industry experience with academic achievement to provide a unified approach to transitioning high-end academics to real world usage. Griggs has a unique understanding how academics can serve you for the rest of your life. Academically he earned a B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in engineering, an MBA specializing in finance and strategy, and a Master of Arts in economics. He also earned a post-doctorate in International Business and Entrepreneurship. Griggs also has more than 30 years of full time aerospace industry experience and seven years of government and industry consulting. He was an adjunct faculty member at OSU teaching Professional MBA courses for seven years and a full-time faculty teaching management and entrepreneurship courses for three years. Griggs joined the management department at UCO in August of 2018.
Griggs’ career mainly has been in the front end of business: basic research and development, technology development, product development, prototyping, proposal writing, funding pursuit, government contracting pursuit and capture, project management, program management, supplier coordination, and just about anything that is required to bring innovation to the customer, while ensuring that our offering has superior value to the customer. He developed the ideas, strategies, plans, program execution plans, development and execution teams, and transition planning into company operations. He reviewed over 800 and coached approximately 200 Small Business Innovative Research firms that were attempting to sell their technology to the firms he worked for. Griggs held multiple positions in the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works, Northrop Grumman Advanced Technology Design Center, the Boeing Phantom Works, LTV Advanced Programs, and General Dynamics New Product Development organizations. He was also on multi-company, co-located teams that were developing new aircraft concepts and technologies for future military aircraft. He also coordinated multi-disciplinary supplier community to develop technologies to transition into Lockheed Martin products.
Griggs was on more than 45 aircraft programs, developed and transitioned more than 1500 technologies and reviewed for consideration approximately 4000 technologies for integrating into new products. He held leadership and team member positions in all types of organizational structures, cultures, and “systems.” He also had to lead, work or report to all types of people with various personalities and behaviors.
Education and Certifications
- Postdoctoral Bridge Program in Entrepreneurship & International Business, University of Florida at Gainesville
- M.A. Economics, University of Texas at Arlington
- MBA (Finance & Strategy), University of Texas at Arlington
- Ph.D. (Engineering), University of Texas at Arlington
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- Certificate of Completion, Technology Entrepreneurship, USASBE
- Corporate & Business Strategy
- International Business
- Management Theory
- Organizational Behavior
- Corporate Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship and Venture Management
- Innovation Design and Entrepreneurship
- Technology Commercialization
- Operations for Entrepreneurs
- Growing a Small and Family Venture
- First 100 Days
- Small Business Entrepreneur
- First Place Business Solutions (founded this consulting firm)
- Oklahoma State University (Faculty; Dept. of Entrepreneurship)
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co. (Skunk Works)
- Northrop Grumman (formerly Vought Aircraft, formerly LTV)
- Electrospace Systems Inc. (presently part of L3 Systems)
- General Dynamics (presently part of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics)
Research, Published Work, and Scholarly Activities
- Real Options Theory
- Business Strategy
- Innovative Business Models
- Innovation and Technology Investment Decision Making
- Integrated Innovation Management/Program Management/Systems Engineering
- Corporate Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneur Decision Making
The views expressed by UCO faculty and staff on their personal websites and social media pages do not necessarily reflect the positions of the University of Central Oklahoma. UCO faculty and staff are advised to follow the university’s social media guidelines and are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with policies outlined in UCO’s Employee Handbook and/or Faculty Handbook.